Tuesday 23 July 2013

Ramadaan 1434

At first I thought it was just me, that I was the problem. But then… well, things changed.
This year is different. And I’m not entirely sure how to describe it. In the days leading up to Ramadaan, I didn’t feel… the vibe wasn’t there. I don’t know how many of you who will read this will understand, but those of you who do will know what I mean. That pre-Ramadaan vibe, that spirit… I just wasn’t feeling it.
All along, I thought it was just me. I reckoned I was the only one who felt this way. But, like I said, I wasn’t. Without knowing what I was thinking, my cousin mentioned in to his mother. She laughed and told him he’s like an old man. Then there’s me, not able to get over how right he was in saying what he did.
The first taraweegh salaah came and went, yet it still did not feel like Ramadaan. That’s when I realized that something must definitely be wrong; that although we both felt the same way, there was something else at play here.
So I got to thinking, the way I usually do [my mind can’t sit still, if that makes any sense at all…], and I think I might have figured out what was missing. The people.
After 5 weeks on holiday, classes have started up again… and it’s finally starting to feel like Ramadaan. J
But all that’s just semantics isn’t it? It’s just me being finicky…
Thing is, fasting has health benefits. By abstaining from food, we allow our bodies the opportunity to regenerate. Everything will start working better. But that only holds true if you don’t stuff your face with junk every night; everything in moderation, as they say. Yeah, so lay off the many samoosas and daaltjies, ‘kay? J
The true nitty-gritty of Ramadaan is about perfecting oneself. And no, we’ll never get there. Once again, it all comes down to trying your best, to be the best. It’s not concerned so much with the superficial trappings of this world, but rather with one’s soul. It’s about the beautifying and cleansing of the soul in a way that can only be achieved through the abstinence from all our vices AND by proper and sincere repentance for our sins. [For we have many, myself included.] And in doing so, we strive to strengthen our relationship with Allah, subhana wa ta’ala.
So I’ll end by asking,
“How is your heart with Allah today?” – Sheikh Ninoway

15 July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment