Friday 30 May 2014

Awkward Hugs

They’re just the worst. I can’t be the only one who feels this way.
This post was inspired by the results of a friend’s procrastination. Amy/Ay-Jay Fudgles is one hell of a rockstar, and here’s what she came up with [I may have edited here and there, but all credit goes to her]:
This is not quite the hug described, but it is too adorable for words.
How to perfect the high-low hug:
1. Lean toward your left when going in for the hug ( I just find the right side awkward)
2. Lift your right arm, indicating to the person that you're going over their shoulder- that way, if you are fun-sized (like me), they will bend lower than initially planned (it’s subconscious really).
3. Keep the left arm low .
4. At this point you should be in the hug already... right arm over the person's shoulder with your palm open just below the neck (be careful not to go too high- you might strangle the person and believe me its awkward A.F) as if reaching for the other shoulder...with the left hand (now situated across the lower back) open... this creates a firm and engulfing hold... now center your hand- wrist parrallel to the spine and gently stroke/rub the person's back (be pressure conscious- you will be able to tell the layers of clothing... use it as a guide)
5. I usually think of something cute or something I like about the person... I often add my weirdness to it- e.g. 'Seeing you smile makes my soul laugh’, ‘you are such a beautiful person, I wanna punch you- no one should be this amazing'... if it’s a stranger or merely an acquaintance, I’d think of something like 'you are special', 'I see you- you don’t have to act like I didn’t notice you'... please make sure that you THINK it and not say it (unless you and the person are on that level)... it makes the hug come to life and gives it meaning (at least to me).
How long you need to hold is dependent on the level of comfort.... I usually don’t care- and hold on to the point where it gets awkward... if you find yourself in this situation- say it’s awkward but don’t let go for another few seconds!
Note: if you're a girl hugging a guy... keep in mind that he is a guy and make sure you KEEP YOUR DISTANCE!!!!!! [I CANNOT STRESS THIS MORE!]
Thank you for that, Amez. It’s unbelievable how many people don’t know how to give a decent hug. >.< Also, “keep your distance” just cracked me up! =P
Happy hugging, everyone! J

2014/05/30

No comments:

Post a Comment