Saturday 14 June 2014

Livin' on a Prayer

With two exams down, and just one more to go, Bon Jovi’s smash hit seems particularly apt.
First of all, if you don’t know the song; that’s too bad- it’s quite cool. Second of all, if you don’t know who Bon Jovi is… Well, shame on you. J
The thing about midyears in MBChB II is that they’re more like finals really. Provided you pass, you will never have to touch those files again. [Clinical work notwithstanding, of course.] So you write these exams and then it’s over. You leave the Resp, Cardio and Gastro blocks behind.
And this is all good and well, except for one thing. Allowances are made for only 2 working days between exams. We got lucky with resp, in that it there was a weekend between the two days. And Cardio is going to be quite nice, because we have a weekend and a public holiday as well. But Gastro was a real SOB. And I don’t mean “shortness of breath”. J
Two days to study 8 weeks worth of work? Impossible. As you can imagine, a lot was left out of the studying process. Scratch that. It was a cramming process. >.<
I’ve been going to bed at around 2:30am every night, due to the sheer amount of work. And when I do eventually get there, my sleep is sorely lacking in quality. Last week I spoke of being chronically tired. That doesn’t even compare to this. And I don’t even want to imagine what our interning years are going to be like!
It’s at times like these that the iconic lyrics come to mind.
“Oh, we’re halfway there. Oh, living on a prayer. Take my hand.
We’ll make it out there. Oh, living on a prayer.”
Truly, one feels like the only you’ll pass is on a hope and prayer.
Because, when you’ve barely slept and haven’t covered even half the work, how else can you pass?
Well. If that wasn’t depressing… >.< Cardio is up next, and this block is my favourite. So, hopefully, I’ll be able to atone for the less than satisfactory performances in the first two exams.
Good luck to all my homepeeps! My we all pass all our exams- the first time around! J
P.S. Happy birthday, Shabnam ‘Shibzie’ Hoosen. Have a wonderful day! <3

2014/06/14

No comments:

Post a Comment